Supplies: Where to buy and how to save!

Today I am going to give you the down-low on getting supplies for your projects without breaking the bank. 

Let's start with the obvious: 
Hobby Lobby

I have learned through trial and error that Hobby Lobby runs sales on pretty much every department every other week. 

So basically if something isn't on sale this week for 40/50% off, it will be next week. 
Put on your patient pants and just wait it out

But if you can't wait it out (*cough* me *cough*), there's always the option to use the infamous 
40 PERCENT OFF ANY ITEM COUPON 
*echoes in the distance*

ALERT: Valid for ONE item only per transaction and you can't use it on items that are already on sale
This can be found at Hobby Lobby's website or through their ad in the newspaper if you're into that kind of thing. They also keep the ad in store so you don't have to go buy a newspaper just to save money.
Kind of counter-productive unless you really want to read the newspaper. 
Or solve the Sudoku.

In summary: If you pay full price at Hobby Lobby, you're doing it wrong.

Wait for the sale or use the coupon if you're a "now or never" type of person like yours truly.
They also have an app that you allows you to download the coupon in case you're a true Hobby Lobby loyalist.


Next up:
Target!

Target has a surprisingly impressive craft section. They don't have much in the way of specialty items but if you're looking for simple things like paint, wooden letters, glitter..they've got you covered. 

Now, I'm a Target saver from way back. I've got that shiz down pat.
So here are a few savings tips from a true Target junkie:

Red Card!
It's not a credit card. They do have Target credit cards, but I would recommend you not starting up credit cards. They're bad news bears, folks.
The glory of the Target Debit Card is that it links directly to your bank account. So you see the charges immediately and you don't have to pay anything back.
Annnnnnd...*wait for it*

YOU GET 5% OFF EVERY SINGLE PURCHASE.

Every purchase, guys. No matter what you buy.
Instant savings. Instant Win.

Cartwheel
Word on the street is they're getting rid of this soon and my anger is UNCONTROLLABLE. I mean, I guess it's sort of controllable but I'm still mad.

Cartwheel is an app you can download and get coupons. You can search by category, add them to your list, and then scan it at checkout.

Last but not least:
Walmart
I must say, their craft section is even better than Target's. They even have material and a nice lady or gentleman who will cut it for you. 
That's service, folks.

A lot of their wood products (wood signs, chalkboard signs, etc.) as well as acrylic and chalkboard paint are a lot cheaper than Hobby Lobby so I tend to migrate there when I'm looking at doing a project involving those things. 

I recommend Walmart for craft shopping if you're there doing other shopping, but I don't typically go there voluntarily because I don't enjoy torture.


OTHER WAYS TO SAVE: 
Dollar Stores - Dollar tree/Dollar general - don't forget about these! They have cheap glassware like vases and mason jars as well as other hidden gems you might not expect to find there.
Thrift stores - These are great for finding neat treasures and they price their items to sell
Local Craft Shows - Vendors from around the country gather to sell products. I've seen quite a few vendors that sell craft supplies in addition to completed products


And here's a map of all of the above just in case you're new to town!


I hope this info was helpful in allowing you to buy project supplies even cheaper!

Stay excellent,
-Mal

Comments

  1. I loved this post! So informative and fun at the same time, I think I will definitely be getting a Red Card. Even though I definitely do NOT need it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mallory!
    Great post! I like doing a lot of crafts and what-not with my nephew on my free time! We originally head to Michaels for out crafts, and even though they are pricey, they have great-quality items. From now on though, I might definitely be going to Wal-Mart to save on a couple bucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a lot of experience shopping at Michael's. When I lived in Salina the only place we had was Hobby Lobby, Walmart or Target! I should really go in there and check out their selection.

      Delete
  3. Very helpful post! I've never heard of cartwheel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts