DIY: The One with the Door Hanger

Friends fans unite! Please tell me some of you are old enough to have watched Friends.
At least on Nick@Nite?
Anyone?? 

Alright, let's move on. I'm old. I get it.

Based on this week's theme, you just might be able to guess that I'm a massive Friends fan. Of epic proportions. So when I looked on Etsy to see what a yellow Friends-themed door frame cost, I nearly cried. Walmart carries them, too. For more than I cared to spend.

So, I decided to take matters into my own hands. 

Enter: The Purple and Yellow Friends Peephole Door Decoration 
(Note: shorter, more clever name is in the works)

Supplies:
Photo Cred: Yours Truly
Wooden Sign: Walmart, $10
Paint: Walmart, $1.50 a piece
Paintbrushes (had on hand)
Foam brush (had on hand)
Picture-hanging wire (had on hand)
Total Cost: $14.50

Step 1: Paint background
Photo Cred: Yours Truly
I started painting the background with the foam brush and soon discovered that I wasn't going to have enough paint. Whoops!

The kids are in bed, I'm in pajama's...a trip to Walmart just wasn't in the cards. But the longer I stared at it, the more I started to like it looking slightly "unfinished". 
That or I just convinced myself of that because I was lazy. 

Either way, we're going with unfinished.

Step 2: Print Pattern & Trace Onto Sign
Photo Cred: Yours Truly
I found one of these online in clipart form and I made it large enough in Photoshop to cover the sign. It required me printing it on two different 8.5x11 sheets of paper and then taping them together, because, as it happens, I do not own a giant printing press. I barely remember to buy printer ink.

Once I got it cut out and taped back together, I traced the inner & outer edges onto the sign in preparation to...

Step 3: Paint that Beautiful Frame!
Photo Cred: Yours Truly
Using two different shades of yellow, and the original tracer that you printed out for reference, paint the frame. I started with the darker yellow and then added in the light yellow for filler. This part was surprisingly easy! I thought for sure I was going to mess it up. No faith.

Step 4: Hang that awesome piece of art!
Photo Cred: Yours Truly
Though I almost don't want to claim this one, yeesh. Bad coloring. It was dark out. Don't judge.

I added hanging wire to the back with a staple gun. If you don't have that, you can always put a small screw in each side on the back and wrap the wire around each. I didn't take a picture of this because I get really excited about finishing projects and totally fail in the instructions department.

I use command strip hangers on all of my doors for hanging things. In fact, I use command strip hangers for just about everything. They should really consider paying me for advertising. 

Anywho, I hope you all enjoyed my first project! I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 
Have a spectacular weekend, folks.

Stay excellent.
-Mal


Comments

  1. Watching Friends with my own friends on Thursday nights was an essential to my grad school experience. We had a strict "NO TALKING" during the show policy, unless it was a re-run or a commercial break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! We had Thursday night watch parties as well. And we all cried on the last episode, of course. I still cry every time I watch the last episode, actually..

      Delete
  2. This is so fun! I've been looking for new creative things to do lately. I've been to Hobby Lobby and Michaels one too many times this month finding things to randomly paint. I love all of this though and can't wait to see other ideas so I can try them out! Being a broke college kid is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story of my life. ;) Hobby Lobby is a dangerous place for my budget!

      Delete
  3. I like how you show pictures of the process from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Drew! Photos are one of my favorite parts of the process!

      Delete
  4. This is adorable! I absolutely love it, and you made it seem like it was so easy! I definitely wanna try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an excellent post for me. My apartment has so much empty space, that you just a gave a wonderful idea. I will definitely enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Aaron!! Hope I can give you some inspiration for filling those empty spaces! :)

      Delete
  6. This post was so interesting to read! I LOVE DIY projects so much. Pinterest is my weakness. This blog makes it really easy to complete this projects too. You do such a great job explaining each step! Cannot wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jordan! I too spend much too much time on Pinterest. What a magical website.

      Delete
  7. Hey Mallory! This is such a cool blog. I’ve never done any DIY stuff before so this is definitely a great place to learn. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary! I hope you get some good info out of it. :)

      Delete
  8. I am totally ballin on a budget at this point in my life, so this blog is perfect for me! I'm not very crafty, but directions are always helpful. Can't wait to see what other things you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story of my life, Ally! I never do anything fancy, always easy stuff. I hope you enjoy some of the projects!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts